- The CTA Website is your first stop for all questions regarding public transport.
- We also recommend the free Transit Stop: CTA Tracker app for estimated arrival times for buses and trains.
- Don’t forget that NU offers free transport to the Michigan Ave area with the Intercampus Shuttle. You just need your WildCARD, but check the schedule as it doesn’t run on the weekends.
Things to Do
- Like the NU in Chicago Facebook Page to find out about opportunities and events in Chicago
- Consult websites and applications that have Chicago event calendars. Check out Do312 or Choose Chicago to start.
- Look up Chicago free museum days for Illinois residents. All museums are required to have them, and your WildCARD generally proves your residency!
- If you are looking for suggestions from fellow NU students, here are some past resources written by Northwestern students over the years (may not be up to date)
- NBN Neighborhood Guides (2011)
General Engagement Ideas for “Life in Chicago”
- Local block club
- Neighborhood festival planning committee
- Young professional board
- Recreational sports team
- Political party
Volunteer and donate
- With a local nonprofit
- Community garden
- Local YMCA or school mentorship
- Local food pantry
- Volunteer portals: Chicago Cares; Volunteer Match; One Good Deed; One Brick
- Research the history of your neighborhood/block
- Chicago Encyclopedia
- Take a neighborhood guided walk
- Your local representatives in city, state and federal government